Update on use of Town recreational facilities – June 17, 2020
While these areas have reopened to the public, please remember we are all responsible for our own health and safety. If you are of vulnerable and age and/or health, please consider avoiding public areas whenever possible or use the recreational areas at times when there are not as many others in the area.
OPEN and available for use with restrictions:
- Tennis Courts are open for Tennis – please follow posted guidelines and posted occupancy limits
- Basketball Courts are open for Basketball and Pickleball – please follow posted guidelines and posted occupancy limits for these sports
- Dog Park is open for use, please follow posted guidelines and posted occupancy
- Town Park and Causeway Park are open for fresh air and exercise – please practice social distancing of 6’ – for your own safety please wipe down any equipment you use both before and after use
- Contracted Portable Toilets are available throughout town – please use good hygiene – sanitizer has been placed at these locations, but it is in your best interest to carry your own whenever you leave home
- It is recommend that you bring your own hand sanitizer and bottled water when moving around town, along with a face covering for when you find yourself in a situation where it is not possible to maintain 6′ of social distancing
- Town Strand Beach – This beach is open for public use from dusk to dawn. Social distancing is required – 6′ between non-family members – if there is not sufficient room for Social Distancing when you arrive, please use a different town park for your recreation. The showers are on and recommended anytime your have been swimming
- Town Office Building and Restrooms – Remain Closed
- Town Water Fountains Remain Closed – Please carry bottled water when you move around town
MASKS or Face Coverings are REQUIRED by the Commissioners of Oxford: Inside all Businesses and Outside Businesses when 6’ of social distancing is not possible, please be courteous to those around you by wearing your mask.
- Practice Social Distancing of 6’ in all public areas
- Please carry your own hand sanitizer or wipes
- Please carry water and a face covering whenever you are out
Please see the following County Covid-19 link, which consolidates available information and directs people to appropriate sites:
Further information is available at these links:
Talbot County Emergency Management : https://www.talbotdes.org/covid19.asp
CDC COVID-2019 Website: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
Shore Regional Health COVID Information https://www.umms.org/shore/patients-visitors/coronavirus
Maryland Department of Health Website: https://health.maryland.gov/pages/home.aspx
Talbot County Health Department Website: https://health.maryland.gov/talbotcounty/Pages/home.aspx
Talbot County Health Department Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TalbotHealthMaryland/
Talbot County Department of Emergency Services Website: http://www.talbotdes.org/default.asp
Talbot County Department of Emergency Services Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/talbotdes
Please follow the CDC and the Maryland Governor’s recommendations and mandates over the next few weeks. Social Distancing is a crucial component of reducing the impact of this virus.
As has been stated many times this virus, although mild in young adults and currently of minor impact to children, poses a danger to those over the age of 60 and those who may have compromised immune systems. In addition, the current risk of carrying the virus is much higher if you have traveled to or from an area with active cases and catching the virus if you have interacted with someone who has traveled. Because of these risks, we feel it is important that the community of Oxford take extra precautions.
The objective of the Governor, the County, and your local Commissioners is to slow the spread of this virus in order to not overwhelm the hospitals and to reduce community spread to senior members.
The Town Office is closed to visitors. The staff will be available by telephone and email, with email being the preferred method of contact to:
Town Administrator – email@example.com
Assistant Clerk – firstname.lastname@example.org
Town Office 410-226-5152 // Urgent issues – 443-496-1761
For police and for all emergency issues always dial 911
Government functions continue. All Commissioner and Board Meetings are being held virtually and participation instructions are posted on the calendar located on this website.Town Office 410-226-5152 // Urgent issues – 443-496-1761
Again, you can find information posted on the Talbot County Department of Emergency Services webpage and it is recommended you follow their Facebook page for current information.
Cheryl Lewis, Town Administrator
Below is the link to Maryland Emergency Management and Talbot County Emergency Management where you can find the most recent information. As many of you already know, we are a vulnerable community and need to be more vigilant than most. At the very minimum, please practice the 6′ distancing rule and wash your hands well and often, and check on your neighbors preferably by phone. We will post any updates on our Facebook page: Town of Oxford, MD – if you don’t already, please consider setting up a Facebook account as this is a main source of information during emergencies.
For county updates you can sign up for text alerts:
For updates and tips all Marylanders should opt-in to #MdReady, a texting program that allows people to receive messages via text. To opt in, text “MdReady” to 898211 to begin receiving updates, tips, and alerts about COVID-19 and other threats and hazards.